Today's grativibe is about the difference between feeling full and feeling stuffed.
When we made the Hearty Breakfast Burritos, they earned the name and then some. They were actually too big for maybe everyone except teenage boys and heavy laborers.
It's just a lot of food in one of those. We loved them, but we felt way too stuffed. Doug and I aren't vegetarians, but we also don't need fatty breakfast meat every day of the week. Does anyone, really?
As promised, I set about making a smaller, healthier version.
These burritos are more human scale and meat free. We're full after eating one, but not so full that we're miserable.
They are the Goldilocks of breakfast burritos for us: not too big, not too small... JUST RIGHT!
We'd love to hear from you, so let us know what you think. Your comment will make our day!
Vegetarian Breakfast Burritos
- 2 pounds frozen tater tots, (100 tots to be exact)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 serrano peppers, *optional* seeded and chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 24 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream, or half & half, but eggs will freeze better with the higher fat content of cream
TORTILLAS & CHEESE
- 20 flour tortillas, 8"
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven as directed for tater tots. Bake tater tots as directed once oven comes to temp.
- As oven preheats, begin sautéing veggies. In a 12" fry pan (non-stick preferred) over medium heat, melt butter and add chopped onion & peppers. Stir in garlic & seasoned salt. Transfer to bowl and set aside. Stir in parsley
SCRAMBLED EGGS & TORTILLAS
- Whisk or beat eggs, salt & pepper in a large mixing bowl until yolks and whites are thoroughly combined. Then whisk or beat in heavy cream.
- Scramble eggs in same pan used for sausage & veggies. When eggs are done, remove from heat and stir in veggie mixture.
- OPTIONAL STEP: Grill tortillas over open burner, medium heat/flame, about 20-30 seconds per side, rotating frequently with tongs.
- Now that the egg/veggie mixture has had a little time to cool while grilling the tortillas, stir in the cheese.
ASSEMBLE and FREEZE / EAT
- Spread tortillas on counter or work table. Add fillings: 5 tater tots and ½ cup egg/veggie/cheese mixture to each tortilla. Fold in opposite sides of each tortilla (or leave one end open), and roll up burrito-style.
- TO ENJOY IMMEDIATELY: Place burritos, seam sides down, onto baking sheet and cover. Place into 375-degree F oven and bake until heated through, about 12-15 minutes. Cut in half. Serve immediately.
- TO FREEZE AND ENJOY LATER: Wrap each burrito in 12"x12" piece of parchment paper (not aluminum foil). Place burritos in 1- or 2-gallon freezer bag(s). Label, date, and freeze.
- TO MICROWAVE FROZEN BURRITO: Place parchment wrapped burrito in microwave. Set timer for 3:00 and power level at 70%. Setting the power level lower ensures that the burrito comes out evenly hot all the way through - not scorching on the outside and cold in the middle.All microwaves are a little different. This is what works for us.
Leave a Reply